Wednesday, August 08, 2007

All is well.

I haven't been my usual blogging self lately, and quite frankly, I haven't cared one bit. Seems that in the past month or so, my life has taken on new energies, and the thought of sitting in front of a computer and banging-out entries was the farthest thing from my mind.

The meeting with the parental unit with Joe on my arm went splendidly well. I didn't sense anyone being uncomfortable in the least, and the visit was quite enjoyable. Mom and Dad live an hour north of Little Rock on a beautiful hillside overlooking the foothills of the Boston and Ozark Mountains, and we spent the afternoon hours of that day picking vegetables in their garden, and preparing a dinner that consisted mostly of those items. Tomatoes, squash, corn, green beans, purple hull peas. Mom sent us home with plenty of fresh okra and Texas sweet onions. Joe and I both LOVE fresh onion. Quarter up a couple of them, and they go with whatever. Add a few fresh garden tomatoes, and I'm in heaven. My sister Kathy dropped by for a short visit before we headed back home that evening.

It was one of those moments in my life when I was proud of my family. Very proud. As a middle-age adult, I now appreciate more and more the fact that I was raised by grounded and reasonable parents. Once I thought otherwise, but of course I was coming of age and thought I knew everything I needed to know. Gosh, was I wrong.

Perhaps my parents are learning from me as well?

3 comments:

Tony said...

it's fun to watch you settle into your new life. you seem so happy.

BigAssBelle said...

how lovely! this is a great post. and you obviously have a great family. isn't it odd how age brings a new appreciation for parents? at least for those of us who have parents worth appreciating. glad you had a great time with your sweetie and that all was well with the family.

Jeannie's New Mid Life said...

Just like you My kids will always be the same sweet souls I rejoiced to meet that first day of their lives- I am sure your parents feel this too-.I am so happy your day went well and I loved catching up on your blog!