Thursday, October 19, 2006

Daddy's Little Princess

This little girl has me wrapped around her finger. She celebrated her 6th Birthday last week, and we had a special date to mark the occasion. (The picture of her above, was taken recently during her school's open house.) She had her choice of restaurant, and how we would spend some one-on-one time together...a treat I offer each of my three children on their birthdays. It makes them feel so special to have that alone time with me...and I get to soak up each tender moment and focus solely on them.

Six years ago, I was in a very troubled relationship with her mother. I knew that the end of our marriage would be coming soon. I also knew that I would then be given the opportunity to deal with my own personal internal battle. And I was scared to death. I knew I wanted to try my hardest to make the marriage work, but a marriage takes efforts of both parties. I felt that if I gave my vows the most effort I could muster and the marriage inevitably failed, I was then entitled to deal with myself on my own terms...in my own time.

It's been four years now since I first cracked-open my closet door. Through all the ups and downs, one part of my life remains permanent and gives me a sense of grounding. It is my children. I credit them, and the undying love I have for them, in helping me make realistic and responsible life choices since coming-out.

Happy Birthday Lexi!

I love you,
Daddy

No comments: