Friday, November 24, 2006

Becca


Today, I have had my mind on an old classmate. I remember Becca well. She was a Junior, I was a Freshman & we were both members of the high school speech and drama class.

I haven't seen her in years, but anyone who was a part of a high school thespian group knows what I mean when I say that we knew each other well. The class took on the feel of a second family, so to speak. By the end of the year and having been through countless speech tournaments, one act play competitions, a mid-year production and finally a very large year-end show, the members were even more tightly knit than when the school year began.

I'm searching the memory banks to see if I can recall exactly what Becca and I did together on-stage. I'm thinking it may have been Arsenic & Old Lace. Reader's Theatre is a given, as there were MANY of them. But gosh, it's been a while.

Yesterday, my sister was telling me about a story in the news that she had read a couple of weeks ago. Becca and her husband were out walking on a Friday evening with their two small children. All four of them were hit by a drunk driver as they crossed a street at a marked crosswalk. Becca and both her children were killed. They were living in Denver & many hundreds gathered for her_funeral.

Today, I've been kind of sad.

No comments: