Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thorncrown Chapel


E. Fay Jones - 1981 - Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Ranked #4 by the American Institute of Architects listing of the 10 most important buildings of the 20th Century & the most important building since 1980.

My first visit to Thorncrown was on a very serene and beautiful Autumn day in the early 1990's, and I was brought there by a longtime bestfriend, Daphne. Knowing the impact this experience would have on me, she and I sat quietly, and became a part of the moment. Even though the chapel was busy with other admirers silently coming in and out, the two of us sat there in the inner solitude that this work of art invokes.

In moments, I was moved to tears. It is one of those life experiences I allow myself to relive from time to time. Such inner peace!

No comments: